Monday, March 26, 2012

Will Atlas Cut The Mustard?

hi. i am a complete beginner to Atlas so please go easy on me.Smile

I am trying to determine whether Atlas is capable of meeting my requirements, or whether a different Ajax library might be better. Ideally I would prefer to use Atlas because of the vibrant community. so ill fire away with a few questions.

1. Will I be able to use Atlas with the DataGrid/DataGridView control?

2. What I will need is for the contents of one datagrid column to dynamically update based on a selection within a different column. e.g. if I pick 'Fruit' in column1 of my grid then i will want column2 to show me a list of fruit etc. (although my codebehind is more complex than this). Will this be possible with Atlas?

3. One of my grid columns asks for a client code. It will have a search button next to it allowing a user to search for a client by name, address, etc. Will I be able to fire up a pop up search facility and post the hit back to my grid with Atlas? (at the moment i am doing this via a postback and a user control, not a pop up).

thanks for any assistance

All of your scenario's are very easily done using atlas.

1. Look at using an update panel and putting the gridview/datagrid in it

2. see 1.

3. see 1. use a template column for the button and handle the onClientClick of the button.

There are a few things you have to look out for when using other javascripts in conjunction with atlas.
Atlas extends a lot of the native browser objects by using prototype. if you extend the same functionality then they'll have a fight about it.

if you attach things to your browser window events like onload then you should consider rewriting the window.onload = function(){ //myfunction content } to Sys.Application.load.add(funtion(){ //myfunctioncontent});

I hope this gets you on your way.


thanks for your reply.

ive got another question that just occurred to me this morning.

is the javascript outputted by atlas cross browser compatible, or will it only work in IE?


Wee Bubba:

thanks for your reply.

ive got another question that just occurred to me this morning.

is the javascript outputted by atlas cross browser compatible, or will it only work in IE?

its targeted at IE, FF, and Safari... Opera ,and others, don't make the cut


hello.

and it looks like safari has limited support only.

No comments:

Post a Comment