Monday, March 26, 2012

Windows Integrated Authentication prompting for password, Ajax calls are fully qualifying

Alright, here's my very strange story: I have an ASP.NET 2.0 webapp that utilizes Ajax, for some reason even if I type in "http://ServerName/DirectoryName" it will prompt for a password and it will show "Connect to ServerName.DomainName.com" instead of just "Connect To ServerName". If I choose not to authenticate it will still load the page, but none of the Ajax stuff will load, and on any ajax asynch callbacks it will prompt me to authenticate again. Also, I have manually added the fully qualified server url to my Local Intranet zone and am still getting prompted, and I have tried (just for troubleshooting) to set the Authentication settings for my Internet zone to always send username and password information, but it still prompts me for a username and password! Any help would be greatly appreciated, my biggest question iswhy are my Ajax callbacks using the fully qualified url instead of the shorter one I actually typed in?

Thanks!

Mark Ransom

So I've been hacking through this for weeks now (on and off) and as soon as I post my question to this forum I figure out what's wrong. Basically in Internet Explorer under Advanced Settings there's an option that says "Enable Integrated Windows Authentication", which you would think would need to be checked for this type of authentication to work correctly. You'd think so, and you'd be wrong (at least in my situation) because unchecking that box and restarting IE allowed my users to log directly into my app and all my Ajax calls work without prompting for authentication. This may or may not be of use to anyone else, but it took me a lot of head banging (against a wall) to figure out this backwards fix.

Thanks

Mark

No comments:

Post a Comment